Saturday, April 16, 2011

Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.  ~Seneca

On Wednesday I went to the Accademia and saw Michelangelo’s David, and it was spectacular. Also on Wednesday I went to the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo, where I was able to see two of my favorite sculptures of all time, Michelangelo’s Pieta (which is not as well known as his more famous Pieta in St. Peter’s Basilica) and Donatello’s Magdalena, is a wooden statue depicting Mary Magdalene. On Thursday I hiked up a hill on the outskirts of Florence where there was an absolutely incredibly stunning view of the city. On Friday I left for Rome, and stopped in Assisi on the way. Assisi is my favorite city in the world, and I was even more incredible and breath-taking than I remembered. We arrived in Rome (safely) very late, and it was all I could do to change into pajamas and brush my teeth before collapsing into bed. I have already visited the Piazza Navona this morning, and later my professor is going to give myself and the other students a guided tour of the Forum.
Magdalena; she is not wearing any clothes, everything covering her body is her hair.

This Pieta is unfortunately almost lost in the shadow of Rome's Pieta

View of Florence

View of Florence

View of Florence

View of Florence

View from atop Assisi

Assisi

Assisi

Assisi

Church of St. Francis in Assisi

Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment