Last Wednesday I completed the two SPU courses that I was taking in Guatemala, and to celebrate the end of this set of classes, myself, the other students, and our leaders spent the weekend at the retreat center of El Faro close to the town of Puerto Barrios on the eastern coast of Guatemala. It took us one van, one double-decker bus, one taxi (actually four taxis to fit all of our group), a boat, and six(ish) hours to reach our destination, but it was so very very worth. This resort was right on the Caribbean Sea and we swam, swung in the hammocks, and laid out on the dock for three days. I basically just lounged around and read and wrote all day every day. It was so hot and humid compared to central Guatemala, but it had nothing on a Southern Summer Day at home (or Camp Lookout where I work). On Friday we went hiking in the rainforest to a system of waterfalls, and other than this one planned activity, we are, slept, and relaxed the weekend away. I am so glad we were able to have this weekend, because we all started Spanish language school on Monday. From eight to twelve every weekday I take one-on-one Spanish lessons. In other words, I feel like an idiot every morning. I have two years of Spanish under my belt, but I am constantly confused and have to have things repeated. However, individual teachers are the way to go to learn a language, and as frustrated as I am sometimes, I can already tell a marked improvement in my Spanish, and I do enjoy learning another language. I hope Autumn and cooler weather is finding everybody!!
View From the Retreat Center
Sunset Over the Center
This Parrot Lived Right Outside My Window
The Beach Down the Hill From Where We Were Staying
This picture is from our hike in the jungle, and it reminded me of the animated movie Fern Gully (if anybody has seen or remembers that film)
This was taken on a trail at the Center looking North
This is the Waterfall We Hiked To and Swam In
Even this picture does not do the Center justice
The rocks in the river and falls we hiked to were as stunning to me as the forest and water itself
This was just a cool shot that I took and did not realize how well it turned out until I was scrolling through pictures to post a few minutes ago


No comments:
Post a Comment